Friday, October 11, 2002

My Big Fat Weekend Plans

First off, thanks to Chel and Jay for their kind words. Stacey was very, very touched by the blog entry I wrote this morning.

Second, holy mother of God, this weekend is going to be intense. Let me break down the math:

My parents are divorced + Stacey's parents are splitsky = four Thanksgiving dinners over a three-day weekend, back-to-back.

The festivities begin tonight with an after-work rush hour trek down the 417 to my Dad's place in Almonte for dinner with his family, which includes a step-mom, three step brothers, and (who'd have thought it was possible?) a step-grandma. Does such a thing even exist? Are step-grandmas legal in Ontario? Do I have any responsibility to a step-grandma whatsoever? But really, isn't that a wonderful way to spend our two-year anniversary? Don't worry, we're doing it up right next weekend.

Tomorrow, we have dinner with Stacey's Dad, who we're cooking for. I don't know about Stacey, but I'm a little nervous since this will be the first time we'll be entertaining in our new house. I'm sure it'll be fine, just first time, y'know. Plus we need to decide on a recipe, which will be even harder. He's coming all the way from Guelph: I think we're going to need to feed him with something real. Something a few steps up from Zoodles from the can and a side of microwave wieners, sans-bun, at least. One thing is for sure: the dinner will lack turkey content, in any form. In fact, I'd like to go anti-poultry completely, but we may need to resort to chicken regardless.

Sunday, we're up at Stacey's Mom's cottage, which should be relaxing, but as the third family dinner in a row, we'll be antsy. It's beautiful up there, but I don't think either one of us are looking forward to sleeping on a mattress that literally forms a "U" when you lie down on it.

Monday, my Mom's dinner is the last, but certainly not least, of our Thanksgiving-adventures. By 7:30 Monday, if I hear the word "gravy" again, I'll probably lose it. I've been threatened with turkey, but at least I managed to convince her that it would be a good idea to bake something for dessert from scratch. I'm hoping for pie. I like pie.

So, wishing everyone a very happy Thanksgiving (for those of you out-of-country, the leftover turkey is in the mail) and remember....no matter how stressful your big family dinners get this weekend, at least you don't have four of them to go to. And if you do, I'm so very sorry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home