Friday, September 20, 2002

Antonio Monkerro's Top-10 Winamp Playlist

This is what I'm listening to these days, in case you're interested. There're a lot of people's influences showing in this list.

10) House: My sister's been getting big into house music lately, and she's been filling my music folder with all kinds of great stuff, too many DJs to mention. Awww....c'mon.... don't twist my arm. Okay, I'll mention some of my favourites: Shy FX, Masters at Work, Sasha, Goldtrix, Superfunk, SZ, Daniel Bedingfield, and Starchaser, to name a few.


9) The Hives VENI, VIDI, VICIOUS!: This album is the best car music ever. It has a permanent place in the tape deck of my rusted-out junker of a car, which only has one working speaker. It still sounds hella good.

8) The Strokes - Is This It?: Unless you've been living in a cave, you've heard of The Strokes. They're huge. It took me a while to get into them through a very unexpected path, but here I am. I think they're pretty cool. "Hard to Explain" kicks so much ass.

7) Filter - The Amalgamut: easily one of the best little-known discs of the season. Although they had a minor top-40 radio hit with their song "Where do We Go From Here," the album's been struggling to catch on. I highly recommend it, though, as a complete album experience. Filter seems to have turned a page after their last album and have returned to their roots.

6) Bombay the Hard Way: This one is weird, but it didn't take as much getting used to as I thought it would. Beltzner warmed me up to this one....it's funky, smooth, well mixed and edited, and ingenious. Who'd have thought that the soundtrack to a 70's Bollywood spy thriller could be so cool? This one's for open-minded people with a penchant for music with a beat.

5) Doves - The Last Broadcast: This particular album is new on my playlist, but I've already fallen for one of the singles, "There Goes the Fear." The rest of the album seems really, really, good so far, but I haven't had enough time to get used to it. I can tell that I'll be humming the tracks in my head in no time.

4) Boxcar Racer: Blink-182 side-project and one of the best punk CDs I've listened to in a long, long time. Imagine Blink-182 with a much more adult mentality and perspective. I suspect that this will be one of my favourites for many years to come.

3) Tomahawk: Mike Patton's new band. I have only listened to their album a few times, but I'm already convinced this band is simply awesome. So much better than the live performance I saw back in August. If you enjoyed Faith No More's King for a Day, you'll eat this one up with a spoon. More accessible than Mr. Bungle, but a whole lot darker.

2) Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to The Head: Everyone by now should know what Coldplay's capable of. A truly solid album that outdoes its predecessor, Parachutes. Brilliant music.

and...

1) Muse: I've already said it. They're awesome. All three albums. Buy them now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home