Monday, January 27, 2003

Irony in the Details

This past weekend, I bought the Back to the Future DVD trilogy, and we watched the first movie last night. I must have watched Back to the Future a hundred times as a kid, but not many times since.

Near the beginning of the movie, Marty McFly is auditioning his band to some teachers. He performs Huey Lewis' song "Back in Time" (which is also the theme song for the movie). Half way through, one of the teachers stands up and shouts through the megaphone "I'm afraid you're just too darn loud."

And, of course, little did I know as a child, that teacher was played by Huey Lewis himself. And it took me this long to fully appreciate that joke.

Sometimes you need to be a little older, a little wiser, and have a more-developed sense of irony to catch these things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home