Friday, February 28, 2003

A Sudden Realization That I'm Definitely an Adult

In case you haven't heard, Mr. Rogers has passed away.

When I heard about this, I thought about how I was never a huge fan of his show. As a little whipper-snapper, I watched it -- but I think even as a four-year-old I found him a little patronizing. But I still watched, and watched regularly. I took note of the changing colours of his sweater and cheered when he fed his fish and wondered how the magic trolley made the trans-dimensional journey to the land of imagination, or whatever it was. You know, the place with the crappy hand puppets. But it was never in the same league as Sesame Street or Mr. Dressup in my mind.

And then it struck me: nearly all of my early childhood heroes are dead. Jim Henson. Mr. Dressup (Ernie Coombs). The Friendly Giant (Bob Homme). And now Mr. Rogers.

I swear, Jeff Hyslop had better be taking good care of himself. If I catch him with a cigarette in his hand or driving without his seatbelt on, hoo boy, there will be hell to pay. I'm watching you, Jeff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home