Monday, June 09, 2003

That Girl

Way back in 1998, I heard one of the most beautiful voices I had ever heard for the first time. I was completely blown away by her sensual, sensitive, soulful sound. It was something new, fresh, and hip. It achieved the contradictory feat of being able to relax me and infuse me with energy at the same time. I played her CD for anyone and everyone who would listen to it. To this day, her CD is still in regular listening rotation and I can't think of a single roadtrip in the past few years when I haven't brought it along.

The CD is called Breath From Another by the ever-so-luscious Esthero and the magical-music-man known as Doc. And soon after the CD was relased....they disappeared. Doc left the band to pursue other musical interests and Esthero struggled to find a new direction for her music.

Since then, I've been able to seek out a few extra tracks featuring Esthero. She glows on "Song for Holly" from the Go soundtrack. At one point, I couldn't stop listening to "Weekends" by the Black Eyed Peas, which features her voice in the chorus. Ian Pooley and Esthero's "Balmes (A Better Life)" makes me want to dance every time I hear it. She teamed up with DJ Krush for a beautiful song called "Final Home". I managed to track down a song called "Windmills of Your Mind" that was axed from the soundtrack for The Thomas Crown Affair. I even love the Rascalz track "Priceless", where Esthero's voice is ghostly-thin as a background track. Most recently, I found a cover of "White Rabbit" from the new Blue Man Group CD, The Complex. She's had other appearances, but I'm still on the lookout for them.

But now I can finally have a whole CD of new Esthero music. It's been five years, but Esthero's finally going to release a new album. I can't wait.

Check out Esthero's unofficial web site here, and be sure to click on the spinning letter "e" to get a taste of four new tracks on the new album.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home