Sunday, March 28, 2004

How Small is Too Small?

No, I'm not talking about bodily endowments. I'm talking aircraft. I recently bought a ticket to fly away on a short 4-day vacation. When I had a closer look at the details, I realized that this is what I'm going to be flying back in. It's tiny.

But in a way, that's kind of exciting. One of the items on my list is to get a ride in a four-seater prop-driven plane, something that I've always wanted to do. I expect that this will be a good way to work my way up to that. I've always loved flying, maybe because I've never gotten to do very much of it. On my last flight, out to Calgary and back from Vancouver, I think I spent a good half of the 6-hour-long voyages with my face pressed up against the glass, straining my eyes to pick out recognizable landmarks on the surface below.

For me it's a totally magical, humbling experience to see the world from so high above it. I can only imagine what it must feel like to see the Earth from outer space, to see the whole globe and billions upon billions of lives in a matter of mere moments. I only hope that that feeling of wonder will never be dulled the more I travel. I don't ever want to be jaded towards something that I see as a gift, a glorious opportunity to see the world in way that's so different from what I'm accustomed to. It's worth every penny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home