Monday, June 14, 2004

Rent

I found myself an apartment. I got an amazing deal, and it's (almost) right exactly where I wanted it to be, too. I'm going to be a five minute walk away from work for the first time in my life. With my luck, though, I'm gonna get posted to some contract at a building in Kanata the day after I move.

Interesting story on getting the place. There was actually some pressure to take it, so I felt a bit rushed into it, despite how cool it is. When the lady showed it to me, she was showing it to someone else at the same time. So I'm just quiet, taking my time looking at the place and thinking, damn, this place is nice, and BIG, too. Meanwhile, this girl was running around the place saying, "wow! This place is SO great! I'll take it, take it, take it!" The person who was showing it was quiet for a beat and then said "well, this is the first showing, and he called first, so if he doesn't want it, it's yours." I got the heartbroken glare of a lifetime at that moment. I contemplated being a gentleman for roughly 1.5 seconds before saying, "Nope, I want it" and giving a great big grin.

I also sprained my ankle, making packing and lifting boxes a hobbling, painful nightmare. I've been afraid to get it looked at because they're going to tell me to keep off it for a week. So, in true fashion, I've decided to keep walking on it and damage myself even more. Because I'm just brilliant that way.

Also, I've been meaning to post it for a while, but I did see Troy at some point in May. And the reason I didn't say anything about it: well, there wasn't really anything to say. It was passably good, but only passably. I think women might have enjoyed it more if they were prone to swoon over Brad in all his full-assal nudity.

The movie took all the magic of Homer away, sterilized it, then threw some fistfuls of glam and glitter at it to make it seem more palatable to the North American audience. And the result, my friends? Sham. Pure, unadulterated sham...but popcorn sham, nonetheless. There's not much point in pointing out discrepancies between Homer's "Illiad" and the movie, so I won't bother. But I think it's safe to say that Homer's still being read today, millenia after it was first recorded, for a reason. Troy, on the other hand, will be a flash in the pan, at best.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home