Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Under the Knife


Monday morning will be the last time I'll get to see my knee scar-free and with all its original pieces in all their original places. Same goes for my ankle. I'm having crazy reconstructive surgery to try and repair all the dumbass damage I've incurred over the years. My plan to wait it out and get a robo-knee instead didn't quite pan out. My next charitable donation will be to Cyborgs International so they can get moving a little faster on that.

It's been a long time coming, with almost a year to get used to the idea, and yet I can't help being a bit nervous. I know this kind of surgery is pretty routine and lots of people have something like it over the course of their lives, but the idea of them mucking around beneath my skin, drilling holes, tearing stuff out and then re-attaching it...yeah, not diggin' it too much. Gah. Hope none of you are eating right now.

I have one last weekend ahead of me to make the most of my ability to drink and dance and...uh....walk without pain. And then the long healing process begins. But hey, pain killers! Whee!

So try to cross your fingers for me Monday morning, would ya? I'll try to get back as soon as I can to let you all know how it went.

6 Comments:

At 9:25 AM, Blogger Sara and Scott said...

Don't worry Drew... it'll all be fine :)

I'll keep you in my thoughts on Monday though, and send the good vibes your way... or I guess maybe I should direct them directly at your surgeon.

 
At 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's non evasive surgery dude you'll be fine.

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger Chris Orlando said...

Good to know that Anonymous thinks you'll be fine !

;-)

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger andrea said...

well could i be invasive and suggest that you won't be able to evade your surgery for much longer?

Just think, after all the physio, and hobbling you may be able to walk with significantly less pain than before.

Hope that they at least give you ice cream.

 
At 4:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andrew... Goodness. I look you up after so long and you're under the knife. No good! I'm sure it will turn out fine. And painkillers are fun...

I was thinking about high school so I googled both you and Ali. You exist on the web. So now I know everything about you. Could you ask Alison to give me a shout as well? I'd be interested to find out what she is up to. I'm at sierrabellows@hotmail.com.

Now that you're an invalid for a while, get people to bring you milkshakes and read aloud to you. Pretend that you've lost more than the use of your knee for a week or so. Good luck with your recovery.

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger Andrew said...

Sierra -- nice to hear from you! If Ali hasn't gotten the message already, I'll pass it along to her tomorrow....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home