Thursday, April 13, 2006

Like the phoenix....

Does anyone still read this rag? Holla holla holla holla holla holla! I'm holla'n atchoo.

Okay, so how do I make up for four months of silence? Forget that dumb-ass business, best policy is to pretend it never happened! Yeah, that sounds mature and healthy.

Here's a quick rundown on my sordid, navel-gazing winter. The whole rehabilitation thing swung me for a loop. It's no big secret that I don't handle winters very well....change in light, lots of nutsack-burying cold, blistering wind, lots of COLD. C-O-L-D. Even this year's mild weather wasn't enough to counter the frustration of coming back from the surgery. And it was even routine surgery! Am I goofy, or what?

But honestly, it shouldn't have hit me as hard as it did. Yeah, I was dumb. I learned from it. Things aren't as bleak as they ever seem. I could spout more self-assuring statements for anyone who's interested. No takers? I'll move on.

The "my-knee's-all-fucked" depression would have been enough to deal with on its own, but there was more in store for me. A self-inflicted change to my job that saw me crumbling from a position of power back to a role I used to manage. I won't go into the details, but it shook my faith in the government's HR system. I'll say no more. Let's just say it was good while it lasted. I read a lot of web comics over that period.

But even that shouldn't have accounted for where I was this past winter. I was lost for far longer than I should have been. But the words of a wise friend kept ringing in my ears: if you don't like where you're at in life, don't just sit around bitching about it. Do something about it. So I did.

Today, I feel like a new person. A real, honest-to-God, semi-reformed human being. I still have a pile of stuff I'm working on. But I'm healthier, stronger, leaner and better dressed. I have a great new job working for one of the best companies I've ever come into contact with or heard about (bye-bye land o' cubicles and apathetic public servants). I have my own office with a view of the Peace Tower. I'm dating a sweet, smart, beautiful girl who sent me easter candy in the mail today. Mr. Mike Blue-Jeans is getting married to another great friend, and I couldn't be happier for them. Now If I could figure out a way to win the lottery, I'd be all set. But I'm not even sure that would improve my mood past what it is right now.

Hahahah, yeah, I can't back that up. Winning the lottery would kick ass. Where's all that mushy junk coming from, anyway? While we're dreaming, I could also go for a brand-new Dodge Charger.

So where does that leave this blog? Great question, even if I did ask it myself. Gold-star for me. The honest answer? I don't know yet. I want it to be great. I'm not sure it ever has been great. Lots of people who have been regular readers have told me how much they enjoyed it and encouraged me to start back at it, and I want to send a deep, heart-felt thank-you to each and every one of you (if it weren't for you, I may have never come back). But I still want it to be great. And that may take some time.

So for all of you who are still with me....or happened to drift in by accident -- thanks for dropping by. And with your help (and maybe some more continued good luck) maybe I can make this site as great as I want it to be. I hope you'll stick around to see what I make of it.

5 Comments:

At 9:01 PM, Blogger Sara and Scott said...

Welcome back Drew :)

You're a great writer, and I always look forward to what you have to say. You just have to worry less about impressing anyone and lose the self conciousness, and find the time to just write. Write about the tree out your window, or the bar you were at, or whatever.. just write, because you're good at it and some of us like to read.

Glad you're back on a path in life you're happy with :)

 
At 5:29 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

hi andrew.

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger Andrew said...

Hey Chuck! I'm glad you finally found Rock, have a good vacation!

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Andrew said...

Thanks Sara! Lookin' forward to the challenge....I've never been much for writing about trees, but I'll give it a shot.

"Ode to a Birch Tree"....I think that's goin' places.

 
At 2:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, people are still reading, don't disappoint us!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home